Re: issue with mail-extract-address-components

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: issue with mail-extract-address-components
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 14:08:18 -0700

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mär 15 2017, Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I got an email with a malformed CC line:
>>
>> Lörsch, Karl <address@hidden>, "Wegner, Simon" <address@hidden>
>>
>> Ie, no quotes around the first name. `mail-extract-address-components'
>> splits on the comma, as I suppose it should, and its return value is:
>>
>> (("Lörsch" "Lörsch")
>>  ("Karl" "address@hidden")
>>  ("Simon Wegner" "address@hidden"))
>>
>> It's doing the best it can here, but I would expect ("Lörsch" nil) as
>> the first element, which would make it easier for other functions to
>> handle the return value correctly.
>
> Does mail-extract-address-components actually care whether the singleton
> is a valid address?  Should it handle address@hidden different from foo?  But
> foo could actually be a valid address in the local domain.

I don't know if it should care or not, that's really what I'm asking
here.

Later on in the conversion Karl sent an email directly, and his name in
the From: header was again with a comma but no quotes. When I replied to
him my Message buffer looked like this:

To: Lörsch
Cc: karl <address@hidden>

"Lörsch" might be a valid address in the local domain, but personally
I'd prefer if it got it wrong the other way.