Re: shell-unquote-argument: throws error if called outside a shell buffe

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: shell-unquote-argument: throws error if called outside a shell buffer
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 17:17:06 +0200

> From: raman <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 18:48:12 -0800
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Andreas Politz <address@hidden> writes:
> Yes, namespacing -- plus incomplete documentation.
> shell-unquote-argument is a compiled Lisp function in `shell.el'.
>
> (shell-unquote-argument STRING)
>
> Remove all kinds of shell quoting from STRING.

I think this is simply a bug: the only reason that function wants a
shell buffer is to access the name of the shell process running in
it.  It could instead fall back on some system-dependent default, and
perhaps also provide a way for Lisp callers to specify the shell.

Patches to that effect are welcome.  (I'm also in favor of moving this
function to subr.el, while at that.)

TIA