Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 37b88d7: Fix bug#23006

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 37b88d7: Fix bug#23006
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 11:00:25 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Stefan,

>>     * lisp/minibuffer.el (completion--nth-completion):
>>     Let-bind `non-essential'.
>
> Oh, no, this is wrong.  This amounts to saying that all forms of
> completions are always non-essential, which is definitely incorrect.

The only meaning of `non-essential' is to give Tramp a hint that we're
in completion. I haven't seen any other use of this variable since it
has been introduced back in 2010.

If you believe this is wrong, then Tramp needs another variable for such
a trigger. As we did agree originally in
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2010-04/msg00371.html>. The
idea to take `non-essential' instead came later from you.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.