Re: The current state of the comment-cache branch

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: The current state of the comment-cache branch
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 08:30:55 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 10:02:30AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 21:50:56 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>

> >                    First forward run     Backwards     Second forward run

> > master:                 34.100s            36.050s     34.575s

> > comment-cache:          30.110s            32.275s         34.990s
> > [...]
> > I would like the comment-cache code to be merged into master soon.

> Given that the speed-up is around 11% - 13%, and only for the first
> scan, what are the other advantages/benefits of this code that would
> cause us to merge it?

The prime advantage is that we would support open parens in column 0
inside comments.  Not through some awkward workaround, but through a
change in algorithm, by which these open parens simply aren't even an
issue any more.

The timings I gave were intented to refute in advance any suggestion
that the new code might slow Emacs down, the way setting
open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start to nil does.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).