Re: forward-comment and syntax-ppss

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: forward-comment and syntax-ppss
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 22:08:25 +0200

On 17.12.2016 17:09, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

1) Modes that use narrowing as a required thing for the mode to work
properly.  The main offender here is Info-mode, and I think it should
just be rewritten to not rely on narrowing to work.  That is: No
Narrowing In Modes.  There's always a better way to achieve the same
effects, I think.

Info could be implemented differently, I agree. And maybe it's a good idea.

There's no comparably powerful alternative for the multiple-major-modes situation, however.

As we did with
`(save-excursion (set-buffer...))' we could introduce a new special form
for this behaviour, like

  (with-region (point) (point-max)
    ...)

Not sure how much that would solve. The example mentioned previously, as I understood it, was about users calling narrow-to-region interactively, and following it by another interactive function that affects all accessible part of the buffer.

3) Interactive narrowing should be stack-based, so that you can easily
narrow to things, do something, then narrow some more, and then pop that
narrowing to return to the previous.

This probably won't require any changes in the semantics of the narrowing primitives.