Re: Threading IO-bound functions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Threading IO-bound functions
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 17:26:57 +0200

> From: Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 12:01:51 +0800
>
> The number one function that I call that sometimes hang for a significant
> amount of time is ‘gnus’. I decided to
> try running it in a thread, and it worked surprisingly well. Initial loading
> of the messages can now be done in the
> background.

Beginner's luck ;-)

Did you try this in "emacs -nw"?  And without your Gnus
customizations, which allow some shortcuts?  Half way through its
initialization, Gnus asks a question, and then you get bug#25214.

> To prevent myself from running this function more than once at the same time,
> I created a wrapper function
> for this, and I have extracted it into a macro.

Thanks.

> I'd like to have people's opinions on this strategy, and if it might be
> reasonable to default ‘gnus’ to do this when
> run on Emacs versions with concurrency support.

I think we need first to solve the above problem in some way.  Or
change Gnus to not ask any questions from a background thread.