Re: replacing ldefs-boot.el

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: replacing ldefs-boot.el
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 11:53:16 +0000

Noam Postavsky <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 7:17 AM, Phillip Lord
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Just revisting this; I believe this code is complete now, and I'd like
>> to merge to master (after squashing).
>
> Oh, that reminds me, I had wanted to ask if a *full* bootstrap was
> really necessary for running admin/ldefs-clean.el, wouldn't the
> bootstrap-emacs be enough?

That's possible. Likewise generate-ldefs-boot depends on "all" because
it needs a new loaddefs.el to bootstrap while generating
ldefs-boot-auto. Probably building to bootstrap-emacs is enough for the
former, and loaddefs.el is enough for the later.

The reason that I didn't do this is because there are no top-level
targets for building to those levels; using recursive make calls to src
and lisp seemed fragile to me, and a gives a performance gain for
something that is likely to only be run rarely.

Phil