Re: Binary Search Tree and Treap Functions bst-assq and treap-put

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Binary Search Tree and Treap Functions bst-assq and treap-put
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 12:29:13 -0500

SM> You can put a
SM> (eval-when-compile <run-the-C-compiler>)
SM> in the <pkg>.el file, so that the C code gets compiled when the Elisp file
SM> is byte-compiled.

> Except that <run-the-C-compiler> may vary greatly,

Oh yes, but that's part of the problem we have to solve in general for
C modules in ELPA, regardless of the above sample code.

One solution is to instantiate "<run-the-C-compiler>" with something
akin to "./configure; make".

My point was simply that this can be done "right now with no changes to
package.el or to ELPA infrastructure".  Once we get that working, we'll
probably want to revisit this choice and introduce specific support in
package.el and ELPA infrastructure.

        Stefan