Re: RFC: String interpolation

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: RFC: String interpolation
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 15:47:03 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> I see no need for renaming and altering the format statement itself:
>
>     (let ((thing (replace-regexp-in-string " +" " " thing)))
>       (fmt "This is %{thing}.2f"))

Ah, but then a typical programmer would just say

    (setq thing (replace-regexp-in-string " +" " " thing))
    (fmt "This is %{thing}.2f")

because programmers like setq more than introducing new, nesting
bindings.  And then they later want the original value of the variable
later, anyway, and then they finally rewrite it to use a let for or a
new variable name.

I've been doing PHP for decades.  Typical work flow.  :-)