Re: Spending time on Guile Emacs? (was: Preview: portable dumper)

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: Spending time on Guile Emacs? (was: Preview: portable dumper)
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2016 10:10:32 -0600

John Wiegley writes:

> TG> So I am wondering if the time used to play catch-up with modern Lisps
> TG> would not be better spent by integrating Guile?
>
> I really think this just comes to down to who is willing to do that work?
> Guilemacs has made a lot of progress in the last few years, but it still
> hasn't garnered much attention yet.

John is right.  The work is there, I even rebased the Guile repo not too
long ago (it's wip-elisp in Guile's repo), but it needs someone to step
up and do the work.

Notably this would bring a lot of the things people have been asking for
(an FFI, efficiently compiled code and when Guile gets it (it's on the
Guile agenda), JIT compilation) along the way.

I think it's worth persuing.  Someone needs to do the work though... it
definitely needs to be incubated to stability further to prove itself. :)

Tobias, are you interested in working on it?