Re: [Emacs-diffs] master c711991: Allow not erase output buffer in shell

From: Tino Calancha
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master c711991: Allow not erase output buffer in shell commands
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 01:32:49 +0900 (JST)

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016, Stefan Monnier wrote:

I guess, in cases where the buffer is not displayed, (goto-char pos)
might not always work as `set-window-point': a posterior
display of the buffer maybe doesn't show point at pos.

When a buffer is displayed in a window for the first time, the window's
point is initialized from the buffer's point, so it should work for
those cases.  If the goto-char happens for a buffer that used to be
displayed in a window and later gets displayed again in that window, it
may be the case that we remember the old window-point somewhere and try
to return to that, indeed.  Let's not worry about it for now.
Ok.  thanks.
Tho, maybe it would be a good idea to introduce a new function (not sure
how to call it: window-goto-char?  set-buffer-window-point?) which would
work like set-window-point but takes a buffer as argument.  After all,
it's a fairly common need, and if we ever want to fix the corner case
mentioned above, we could fix it there once and for all.
Thank you very much for the further explanation. Let's see what other people here might comment about this new function proposal; people with deeper understanding than me in that topic.

PS: Haven't checked the new patch, sorry.
Please take your time.  I took 1 month to answer this.  There is no hurry.