Re: Any hints or tips on how to debug an elusive timer error?

From: Jiege Chen
Subject: Re: Any hints or tips on how to debug an elusive timer error?
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 05:01:45 +0000 (UTC)

Live System User <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    Does anybody have any hints or tips on how to debug
>    an elusive timer error?
>
>    I seem to periodically getting the error:
>
> Error running timer ‘show-paren-function’: (wrong-type-argument stringp
> t) [2 times]
>
>    Although it is not readily reproducible I seem to notice
>    it more when doing a "M-:" `eval-expression'.
>
>    This is while not yet typing RET when pausing and/or continuing
>    to type the elisp expression.
>
>    Thanks.

First, toggle debug on error. You will get the stacktrace when the error
occurs.
You can post the stacktrace here in the list.
Then, if you found a lot of bytecode around, try to remove all .elc in your
.emacs.d/elpa and load the packages again (for example, restart emacs).
If the bytecode comes from elsewhere, you may need to load them as .el
(setting 'load-suffixes' does work while it may lead to spurious 'Recursive
load'
error).

--
Jiegec