Re: Did something Change With Unicode Name Mappings?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Did something Change With Unicode Name Mappings?
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 19:17:56 +0300

> From: raman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 08:04:00 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>

> This was in emacs address@hidden

We recently imported the Unicode data files from the latest version
9.0.0 of the standard, perhaps something went wrong with the build
following that?

> The problem went after I did the following:
>
> 1. Did a make clean in admin/unicode
> 2. Rebuilt Emacs
> 3. Updated  describe-char-unicodedata-file to point  at the UniCode.txt
> in emacs/admin/unicode
>

> Characters that demonstrated the problem before I did this and that went
> away after:
>
> C-x 8 RET  dog tab f tab == "dog face"
>
> 🐶

The completion on character names doesn't use
describe-char-unicodedata-file at all, AFAIK, only the internal
database loaded from uni-*.el files, so I'm guessing that steps 1 and
2 were those which fixed the problem.

Btw, there's no need to point describe-char-unicodedata-file at any
file, Emacs has all that data in its own databases.  And if you are
tracking the master branch, the Unicode database we have there should
always be the latest one anyway.