Re: font-lock-syntactic-keywords obsolet?

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: font-lock-syntactic-keywords obsolet?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 08:40:12 +0200

On 19.06.2016 16:59, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
[ ... ]
   If you remove (from a C++ buffer) a terminating template
delimiter (">"), that will have the effect of removing the syntax-table
text property from its former matching opener ("<").

Hmm, is this reasonable?

Quoting from your post later on:

;;;

Consider the following non-unusual case. In C++ Mode we have nested

template delimiters, thusly:

    A       B     C          D
    <       <     >          >

They each have parentheses syntax-table text properties such that A
matches D and B matches C.  You can, for example put point at A, do
C-M-n, and you will get to after D.

Suppose you delete the < at A, and move point to D.  What will now
happen if you do C-M-p?  At the moment, D no longer has a s-t property,
so it will not (mis)match any other character with paren syntax.

;;;

If balance is broken by removing "A", why should  C-M-p work?
It should send an error instead, i.e. the remaining "D" _should_ mismatch.

Looks like a suitable issue to reduce complexity - or do I miss the point?

Cheers,

Andreas