Re: bug#23794: Emacs bug #23794; sort-line behavior regressed from prior

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug#23794: Emacs bug #23794; sort-line behavior regressed from prior Emacs versions
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 20:55:07 -0400

> The problem with that approach is that each mode has to be aware of this
> and add a setting, really not much different than each mode having its own
> sort function or way of calling a sort function.

Right.  To be an improvement, the setting should be one which makes
sense independently from the modes which sets it and independently from
the packages that uses the setting.  I.e. one needs to get at the core
reason *why* we want this behavior in this case.

I suggest something like
`invisible-text-belongs-to-the-preceding-visible-text' (which hence
implies that if you move one, you need to move the other along with it).
Maybe a more concise name is in order, tho ;-)

        Stefan