Re: font-lock-syntactic-keywords obsolet?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: font-lock-syntactic-keywords obsolet?
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 15:26:16 +0000

Hello, Dmitry.

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 06:18:20PM +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 06/19/2016 06:12 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > Wouldn't the answer be simply to document these?

> "Simply" is a curse word in software development.

Then I'll go and scrub my tongue out.  :-)

> > I may be wrong here, but aren't these interactions only tricky when
> > syntax-propertize-function is not nil?

> CC Mode doesn't use font-lock-syntactic-keywords either, does it?

No it doesn't, but it was under consideration at one stage.
font-lock-syntactic-keywords can be a good solution if the syntax-table
properties are only needed for fontification, which isn't the case in CC
Mode (and hasn't been the case since (at least) syntax-table properties
started being applied to C++ template delimiters).

> Please don't advocate things you don't understand the implications of.

Have I been doing that?  I don't think so.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).