Re: Add examples to elisp method documentation

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Add examples to elisp method documentation
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 03:34:56 +0200

Ruslan Kiselev <address@hidden> writes:

> Hopefully this is the correct place to aks for this. I'm relatively
> new to Emacs/Elisp.

Welcome!

> It would be extremely helpful if at least some Elisp function docs
> included examples.

Did you have a look at the Elisp (info) manual?  That's the canonical
place where examples are given and things are described in a broader
way.  Docstrings are intentionally concise.

There is also an introduction into Emacs Lisp which offers more examples
for basic stuff like `let'.

You can read these manuals from within Emacs with the info reader (C-h i
etc.)  There is even a hotkey to search the Elisp manual for
documentation about any specific command/function/option/variable
(i.e. symbol): C-h S.

All of these are part of the Emacs distribution.

If you nevertheless find things under-documented, please send a bug
report (preferably with M-x report-emacs-bug).  You can include
patches with suggestions of course.

Regards,

Michael.