Re: Bug #22983 (syntax-ppss returns wrong result) is still open. Could w

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Bug #22983 (syntax-ppss returns wrong result) is still open. Could we fix it before the release, please.
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 08:43:43 -0400

> My suggestion for a fix, discussed in the thread for the bug, is to come
> up with a new function similar to syntax-ppss which always returns the
> equivalent of
>     (parse-partial-sexp 1 pos)
> in place of syntax-ppss's
>     (parse-partial-sexp (point-min) pos)

Almost agreed, except that something should be able to control the "1".

Most/all users of `syntax-ppss' indeed want to start "from the
beginning", but in some cases "the beginning" they want isn't 1 (hence
things like font-lock-dont-widen).

Ideally the "control" should not be specific to syntax.el and should
make font-lock-dont-widen obsolete.  Vitalie Spinu was working on such
a patch.

        Stefan