Re: Overriding the value of indent-tabs-mode in Emacs code

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Overriding the value of indent-tabs-mode in Emacs code
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 01:00:46 +0300

On 05/26/2016 12:44 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:

I notice it all the time, by running commands like 'git diff' where
outputs do not line up.

I notice that problem all the time as well when someone reformats a piece of code to use a different convention.

It's not caused by using spaces for indentation (that would be preposterous), but by using different conventions in the same file. And as long as some people choose to go against the project-wide convention, the problem will never go away.

Admittedly these annoyances are minor, but the
advantages of switching sources to all-spaces are also minor, and for me
the cost of switching to all-spaces outweighs the benefit.

We're not "switching" to all-spaces. Emacs source code doesn't use either style consistently, and we've picked the spaces style last time the subject was discussed.