Re: Paragraph styles in doc strings

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Paragraph styles in doc strings
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 17:42:10 +0200

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:

> This isn't a paragraph style, but a list style, only without bullet
> points or numbering.  In a typeset document there wouldn't be extra
> space between the items.

Well, it's used as a paragraph style here and there...  Here both also
both with and without with the "blank line" style.  :-)

-----
(interactive &optional ARG-DESCRIPTOR)

Specify a way of parsing arguments for interactive use of a function.
For example, write
 (defun foo (arg buf) "Doc string" (interactive "P\nbbuffer: ") .... )
 to make ARG be the raw prefix argument, and set BUF to an existing buffer,
 when ‘foo’ is called as a command.

The "call" to ‘interactive’ is actually a declaration rather than a
 function; it tells ‘call-interactively’ how to read arguments to pass
 to the function.  When actually called, ‘interactive’ just returns
 nil.

Usually the argument of ‘interactive’ is a string containing a code
 letter followed optionally by a prompt.  (Some code letters do not
 use I/O to get the argument and do not use prompts.)  To pass several
 arguments to the command, concatenate the individual strings,
 separating them by newline characters.

Prompts are passed to ‘format’, and may use % escapes to print the
 arguments that have already been read.
If the argument is not a string, it is evaluated to get a list of
 arguments to pass to the command.
Just ‘(interactive)’ means pass no arguments to the command when
 calling interactively.