Simplifying text-quoting-style a bit

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Simplifying text-quoting-style a bit
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 17:11:23 -0700

In <http://bugs.gnu.org/23425#95> I propose what I hope is a minor change to how Emacs formats messages containing quotes. In draft Emacs 25, if the variable text-quoting-style has the value ‘grave’ then a call like (message "‘foo’") with curved quotes outputs a string like "`foo'" with grave quotes. This translation from curved to grave style is a relic of a now-abandoned quoting design, is not used within Emacs and is unlikely to be used elsewhere, and means that grave quoting does not output text as-is as one might expect. My proposal is to turn this feature off, so that grave quoting outputs text as-is (assuming the text does not contain %).

I am mentioning this on emacs-devel to give a heads-up to any developers who might be affected by this proposal.