Re: Recent commit modifying mark-whole-buffer (master/aeb613ea95b7970e66

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Recent commit modifying mark-whole-buffer (master/aeb613ea95b7970e66d663ec5cba54e9ec0528fa)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 14:23:13 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> The initial message in bug #21874 provides no rationale for the
> request (which seems to be a feature request, not a bug that needs to
> be fixed).  So I'm not sure why we want to make such significant
> changes in behavior due to that bug report.

I assumed it was an uncontroversial fix -- there are many commands that
work differently in the minibuffer exactly because we don't want to
include the prompt.

> Do I understand correctly that the proposed change will disallow doing
> that, without some complicated operations that many users won't even
> know about?  If so, I object.

I don't quite follow.  If you want to mark the prompt, there's a
gazillion ways of doing that, including `C-u C-a C-<SPC>'.  Or just hold
down `<left>'.  :-)

(By the way, I think it would be nice if `<left>' didn't enter the
prompt.)