Re: Default compiler optimization level for building dev sources

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Default compiler optimization level for building dev sources
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 23:41:35 +0300

> From: John Mastro <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 13:25:13 -0700
>
> Magit has some useful notes regarding performance[1], including for
> Windows specifically.
>
> (I don't mean to comment on whether the performance problems are with
> Emacs and/or Magit, only to point it out in case you haven't seen it).
>
> [1]: https://magit.vc/manual/magit/Performance.html

When was that last updated/verified?  I think the information there is
mostly outdated.  E.g., the stackoverflow question and advice refers
to Git 1.7.x, and definitely describes a broken setup ("cd" taking 8
to 25 sec? come on, be serious!).

The only factor I'm aware of for slow startup of Git on Windows is due
to MSYS Bash and other MSYS commands that are run by those Git
commands that are implemented as shell or Perl scripts.  MSYS is a
fork of Cygwin, which is known for this issue (emulating 'fork' on
Windows is expensive).  Git commands that don't invoke Bash or Perl
should be fast enough on Windows, AFAIK.