Re: "Staying in the same place"

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: "Staying in the same place"
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2016 20:42:43 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> The important part is that you can build a "bookmark object" which should
> contain enough data to reproduce the current buffer&position.

Yes, but would that work they way I sketched out in the second message
in this thread?  I.e., the mode would supply a function that would
provide a list of (say) 20 places to look for a place that's "the same"?

> You might be able to do that, but what I was proposing was not to let
> users use the bookmark functionality, but simply to have a default
> special-mode-revert-buffer function which would do something along
> the lines of:
>
>     (defun special-mode-revert-function ()
>       (let ((here (funcall bookmark-make-record-function)))
>         (erase-buffer)
>         (bookmark-goback here)))

Aha, I see.  Yes, that sounds very nice.  As long as the bookmark
functionality is sufficiently flexible about the `here' it's willing to
accept..