Re: A vision for multiple major modes [was: Re: [Emacs-diffs] widen-limi

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: A vision for multiple major modes [was: Re: [Emacs-diffs] widen-limits c331b66:]
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 04:15:18 +0300

On 03/29/2016 03:07 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

E.g. (goto-char (match-end n)) is a common
idiom for syntax highlighting and indentation code.

Yes, but that match is going to be in the same island, or at the very
least, in the chain of islands containing the current one.

Would looking-at skip over intermediate islands? Basically, I wonder if

 (= (+ (match-beginning 0) (length (match-string 0))
    (match-end 0))

is going to always hold in that new world.

Are you thinking more that `forward-char' should move from the end of an
island to the beginning of the next island in a chain?

As one option, yes. Let's call it option A, and it entails renumerating buffer positions to avoid gaps.

True. I'm more worried about gaps. But they could be treated like
whitespace, I suppose.

For example, by `forward-char'?  What primitives were you thinking of,
here?

This would be option B. forward-char doesn't care if the characters are whitespace or not. I don't know if e.g. search-forward would see the contents of the intermediate islands as a bunch of actual space characters (it's something to consider).

Most importantly, the contents of intermediate islands would match "\\s-", and parse-partial-sexp would similarly skip over them.

Right. So then, some yet-unknown body of code has to become
island-aware, and the improvement is not that seamless anymore.

The way I see it, the super modes would have to be totally aware of the
island mechanism, but the major modes would be largely, it not totally,
unaware of it.  `syntax-ppss' seems more part of the super mode
mechanism.

At the very least, that does sound somewhat complicated.

What if var has an island-local binding? And my function has this:

(setq var 1)
(goto-char xx) ; where xx is in a different island

will its value change mid-program? What if xx is in the same island?
Will the value change then?

A different island local binding would become current, so yes its value
would thereby change.  Much like if var had a buffer local binding, and
you do (set-buffer "foo"), the value of var you'd just set would no
longer be in the current binding.  if xx is in the same island, the
binding just setq'd would remain the same.

That might be something to look out for. Changing a buffer is an operation with big consequences, we know that already, but using goto-char didn't have too many implications until now (aside from point-entered hooks, I guess, which are being phased out).

I don't think either should be true. Then, the "adequate" model would
amount to changing them in post-command-hook anyway.

What sort of variables are you thinking about here?  [ Some time later:]
Could it be that it might be better to have "island chain local"
variables rather than merely "island local" ones?

mmm-mode has both kinds.

So that the three ruby
lines in your example below would be three islands in a chain, and would
thus all share a set of "island chain local" bindings rather than each
line having its own binding?

Yes, probably. But that doesn't solve the above concern.

So making it seem, to the Lisp code, like the multiple related islands
don't have anything (for some definition of "anything") between them is
not a priority?

By "related", I think you mean the same thing I meaan by "chained" - the
three ruby mode lines enclosed in <%...%> in your example below, would be
chained together by the super mode.

Yes, we can call them chained. As long as it doesn't imply anything about any presence of islands of other types between them.

Here's an example of ERB code Vitalie brought up recently:

<% if foo %>
   <%= bar(boo) %>
<% end %>

The parts of the buffer between %'s would be Ruby islands. The
suggestion was to use the value returned by the indentation function in
the second island (second line) to indent the "real" buffer contents.

The question seems to be, are we indenting in the super mode or in each
island?  The answer seems to be you'd want to indent in the super mode
here, I think.

Indentation in the super mode would look like this:

  <% if foo %>
  <%= bar(boo) %>
  <% end %>

which is not what we'd really want. But yes, a good solution would take html-mode's indentation logic as a base, and modify it with the indentation offsets provided by the islands.

But: neither of the islands contains a newline. If they are combined in
the most straightforward way, the Ruby line will be 'if foo bar(boo)',
and its indentation would be not what we're looking for. I think the
current ways to look for a newline,

   (progn (skip-syntax-backward " ")
          (eq (char-before ?\n))

or

   (looking-at "\\s-$")

will fail to work. Also note that neither of the two islands in this
example contains the newline in question.

Two?  Don't you mean three, here?  Is this a minor mistake in your
counting or am I missing something important because I don't grok ruby?

The mistake would be mine, but really, I'm just talking about the first two. We're discussing the indentation of the second line. The third one is just here to make the example look more complete.

The "not chained" idea would require some explanation.

For example, islands in a shell script which were individual AWK scripts
would not be chained together.  But the three (?two) lines of ruby in the
example above would be chained together.  I think we need to work this
out more precisely.

Makes sense.

For example, in the three ruby line scenario above, is there any variable
you can think of for which it would be advantageous to have a binding
for each island rather than a shared binding for the set of three (?two)?

Not off the top of my head. Maybe there's none.

I'm kind of envisioning successive `forward-char's moving from the end
of "<% if foo %>" to the beginning of "<%= bar(boo) %>", or even from
the end of "if foo" to the beginning of "bar(boo)".  How does this sound?

Sounds like what I've calling option A above. Basically, my vague concerns are:

- Performance (checking islands boundaries in each primitive must incur overhead, even when there are no islands). - Code complexity: new code paths that might be exercised not very often in the future. Hence, they could be prone to breakage. A dedicated test suite would help with that, though.

Also, think back to the problem of the absence of newlines in the Ruby islands in the above example. The indentation engine needs them, and it might be harder to make newlines appear both inside and outside of the Ruby islands (the html-mode indentation code needs them too, I'd wager). This is where option B has another advantage, aside from (probably) being easier to implement.