Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 3eb93c0: Rely on conservative stack scanning

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 3eb93c0: Rely on conservative stack scanning to find "emacs_value"s
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 17:30:58 -0400

> And zero years of experience with anything not statically linked into
> Emacs core.

Actually not exactly since we've used dynamic linking on the Windows
side for a few years now.

But I see no reason to expect any special issues showing up because of
it in any case: none of the Lisp_Object low-level twiddling we do seems
to depend in any way on whether code is linked statically or dynamically.

>> The other scheme originally implemented was terribly inefficient
> No it wasn't. It's one additional pointer dereference.

I'm not talking about that.  I'm talking about the cost of
allocating/freeing those boxes to which you point.

> And I'd bet you'd still love to just ship lisp.h with Emacs and make
> (call-process "gcc" ...) to load modules.

I would have been happy with it, but I'm also happy with a more
abstract option like the emacs-module.h we have (save for the insane
signal mangling, obviously).

        Stefan