Re: Arbitrary function: find the number(s) of expected arguments

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Arbitrary function: find the number(s) of expected arguments
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 11:27:24 +0300

> Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 17:16:42 +0100
> From: Paul Pogonyshev <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>  If we are going to keep sub-arity, I'd prefer if this new function
>  called it, instead of copying its code inline.
>
> Done.
>
>  Also, I believe you said you'd write the documentation? Could you
>  please add that? Then the patch will be ready to go in, I think.
>
> In the attached patch I modified `doc/lispref/functions.texi': text about
> `subr-arity' is moved to a new section above about `func-arity' and
> adapted as needed. `subr-arity' is still in the documentation, but I
> replaced its description with an advice to use `func-arity' instead. Is
> that enough?

It's enough, but in the future please also provide a NEWS entry, like
the one I added.

> Do you still need changelog entries? Long time since I committed
> anything to Emacs, maybe you finally got rid of them (I hope)?

We no longer maintain ChangeLog files in the repository, but we do
request commit log messages in the ChangeLog format, so please do
provide them in the future.  (I wrote them for you this time.)

I pushed the changes to the master branch, thanks.

There's one potential issue left:

 (func-arity 'with-temp-buffer) => error-> Invalid function: with-temp-buffer

Is it possible to support macros as well?  If not, how about producing
a more meaningful error message?