Re: Checking in files with trailing white space

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Checking in files with trailing white space
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:09:39 -0700

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
Having the test and result files be HTML and text files is much easier
to work with.

Another possibility is to design your own escape convention for trailing white space and remove it just before the test. You could strip backslash just before newline, say. This will be more robust in the presence of tools that routinely strip trailing white space.

If you do keep trailing whitespace, please check that it survives editing the file by an Emacs configured something like this:

(setq whitespace-action '(auto-cleanup))
(setq whitespace-style '(trailing empty))
(global-whitespace-mode t)

as this is how I edit Emacs source code. I assume you can do this by setting local variables in the affected files.