Re: [Emacs-diffs] comment-cache 223d16f 2/3: Apply `comment-depth' text

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] comment-cache 223d16f 2/3: Apply `comment-depth' text properties when calling `back_comment'.
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2016 11:52:39 +0000

Hello, Martin.

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 10:26:10AM +0100, martin rudalics wrote:

> I compared the emacs-25 branch with current _master_ because here the
> latter is slower by a factor of 20.  And my measurements are for
> builds without optimization only.

> As long as this riddle is not resolved it doesn't make much sense for me
> to test minor optimizations.  Please clarify this issue.

OK.  I've just updated both emacs-25 and master, and built them normally
(i.e. with default optimisation and no debugging info).  The timings I
see (in seconds) are:

            emacs-25          master
foo          2.62              2.78
bar         13.64             13.93

I honestly don't know why you're seeing a factor of 20 difference.  I
doubt it's got anything to do with CC Mode.  Perhaps you could tell me
what flags (e.g. CFLAGS) you're using in your non-optimised builds, and
I can rebuild and try again.

I also think that under 3 seconds is an acceptable running time for
`foo' and `bar'.  (Yesterday's patch brings `bar''s running time down to
that of `foo')

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).