Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Is it time to drop ChangeLogs?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 16:23:48 -0500

  > > So removing ChangeLog files will be a bad blow to our ability to
  > > easily and conveniently research the past,

  > No, this doesn't follow. If we use ChangeLog formats in commit messages,
  > we can still research the past easily and conveniently.

I agree, as long as we include a compilation as a ChangeLog file
in tar releases.

Even though Git does not permit editing a commit message _as such_, we
can provide, at a higher level, a way to correct old commit messages.
Maintaining a ChangeLog file in the repository is one way to do this,
but if it has flaws in the case of merging, can we design another mechanism
for the job that solves the problems with merging?

--
Dr Richard Stallman