Re: Should we restore manually maintained ChangeLogs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Should we restore manually maintained ChangeLogs
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 08:55:17 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 17:32:44 -0800
>
> > That cost is much lower than any of the alternatives proposed so far,
> > including the current arrangement with ChangeLog.2. It worked for years.
>
> I'm afraid we'll have to disagree on costs. The old way of doing things
> was a constant irritation to me and to others.

Your opinion on this needs to be taken with a grain of salt, since you
never tried to install git-merge-changelog.  Without it, I agree with
you that ChangeLog merge conflicts are very irritating.  But that's
exactly why git-merge-changelog was written.

> >> Regardless of the approach taken, there is also a cost to
> >> sprucing up the historical record
> > Since this is regardless of the approach, it shouldn't affect the
> > decision in this matter.
>
> No, they're still related. If sprucing up ChangeLogs is low-priority
> work that distracts us from other things, then it's not advantageous to
> adopt a technical approach merely on the grounds that the approach makes
> it easier to spruce up ChangeLogs.

It's not low-priority work when I need an accurate accord of what
happened.  Then it's very high priority for me.