Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Why does the tutorial talk about C-n/C-p etc?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 08:32:11 +1100

I think Drew is on the right track. Lets not over react to a gut reaction to someone who may not have ever been an emacs user even if we did promote the arrow keys over C-n/C-p.

Emacs has an audience/user base, but to believe that equals the set of all people who use editors is a mistake. Some people just want a very simple editor which is easy to use and only does basic editing - there are plenty of these editors. These users are unlikely to ever enjoy emacs. Doing your shopping in a formula 1 car is never going to work.

Those who need/want a more powerful editor are unlikely to be put off by the tutorial. This doesn't mean we can't improve the tutorial. Only want to emphasise that there is no way to please everyone and we really need to focus on the 'real' audience, those who will benefit from what emacs can offer over things like nano, gedit, textedit etc.

tim

On 10 March 2016 at 07:22, John Wiegley <address@hidden> wrote:

> Keyboards have arrow keys. We shouldn't be talking about C-n/C-p in the
> tutorial.

As someone who never uses arrow keys, I'd argue that keyboards having arrow
keys is not sufficient reason to avoid educating users about C-n/C-p. In fact,
I use a utility on my Mac to universally bind C-n and C-p to be equivalent to
arrow keys in all other apps. :)

--
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2

--
regards,

Tim