Re: [Emacs-diffs] comment-cache 223d16f 2/3: Apply `comment-depth' text

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] comment-cache 223d16f 2/3: Apply `comment-depth' text properties when calling `back_comment'.
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 23:22:26 +0200

On 03/08/2016 10:07 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

My point is that instead of creating a new kind of "syntax cache" for
this specific purpose, we'd be better off using the cache we already have.

Maybe, maybe not.  Special purpose things can have an austere simplicity
which their general purpose equivalents lack.  Think of a high quality
screwdriver, and compare it to using the screwdriver piece of a Swiss
Army knife.

Consider this: when we implement mixed-major-mode support in Emacs, it's probably going to be via an extension to syntax-ppss.

Will an independent comment-cache facility support that automatically, or will it need corresponding changes as well?