Re: [gmane.emacs.diffs] master 2621c29: Use colors in the VC mode lines

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [gmane.emacs.diffs] master 2621c29: Use colors in the VC mode lines
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 00:12:59 -0500

> We should provide defaults that make sense for the users.  That's why
> font locking comes with colours pre-chosen by us.  If some users want
> different colours, they can choose them, including choosing not to have
> any colours at all.

> Us choosing the colours on the VC mode lines is clearly analogous.

FWIW I don't like these colors in my mode-line, but I recognize this as
a personal preference and I agree that the current "magic separator
char" indicator is much too subtle, so most users simply don't know that
this info is available.

IOW I'm in favor now of adding the color, tho we should try and make it
easy for users to "turn it off" (i.e. try and make sure the user
doesn't have to customize umpteen faces for that, tho customizing two
or three faces is probably OK).

The best would be if we could have all those faces inherit from a base
face that specifies the "amount of color", while the other faces only
specify the "kind of color".  So it can be "turned off" just be
customizing the "amount of color" in the base face.

        Stefan