Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 09:44:26 +1100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks.  But what does "respect the locale" mean, in practical terms?
> A large portion of the characters that have some decomposition, and
> thus will be folded when searching, belong to scripts that are not
> related to any language or other locale-specific attribute.  What do
> you think should be done with them in the context of this feature?

The locale says what language culture the user is from, and that's the
important thing for most users.  Not the language of the document or
anything like that.

Norwegian (like Danish and Swedish) has a 29 character alphabet, and
there are keys on our keyboards for all those letters.  Having any of
those characters show up when searching for other characters is as weird
for a Norwegian as it would be for an American to have any of their 26
characters in their alphabet substitute for another.

The Norwegian "extra" characters are æøå, of which only the latter is
confused in Emacs by any other character by isearch today.  I would
imagine that an American would like ø to be folded with o, for instance,
which it doesn't do.

So as currently implemented, the feature is kinda both incomplete and
too intrusive at the same time.