Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 21:47:52 +0100

On 2016-02-18, at 18:07, Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 18 February 2016 at 12:53, Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> On 2016-02-18, at 01:11, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > How come char-folding is on by default in Chromium,
>> > and yet nobody has a problem with that?
>>
>> Well, nobody has a problem with the fact that Chromium does not have
>> anything like query-replace, either.
>>

> If this impacts replace-string as well, then it moves from being a mere
> irritant to a disaster when applied to Swedish. Imagine trying to replace

You misunderstood me.  I didn't mean replace is or should be affected.
I meant that Chromium is a tool for /consuming/ text, and Emacs is
a tool for both /consuming/ and /producing/ text (in fact, also for its
/editing/, which is distinct from producing: I spend quite a lot of time
on editing texts (in a natural langauge) written by others).  This
implies that search in Emacs has more use-cases than in a web browser
(think navigation in the file you are editing, for instance).  And yes,
in general this also means replacing, though this is irrelevant to this
discussion.

> Regards,
> Elias

Best,