Re: Gnus cleanup

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Gnus cleanup
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 15:19:25 +1100

I've now completed the first pass over the Gnus sources, removing almost
all XEmacs compat code.  It has, of course, not all been tested very
well, but it should be "obviously correct".  :-)  Virtually all of the
changes involve either removing the first part after
(if (featurep 'xemacs) ...) and leaving the "else" part in place.

The compat function removal can be a little bit more invasive, but it's
basically usually just replacing gnus-called-interactively-p with
called-interactively-p, so it should also be "obviously" correct.

But please do submit bug reports if this all blows up.

The next thing I was going to do is grep for "boundp" and look whether
the code looks like compat code or not.  This may introduce actual bugs,
because various builds of Emacs may have various things defined, but
I'll try to be careful.

But instead of jumping straight into that, I think I'm going to make the
Gnus build warning free first, which should help when doing cleanup, I
think.  But, again, these will be "real changes", and may introduce
bugs.  But I hope not.