Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Pierpaolo Bernardi
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 18:39:43 +0100

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 6:26 PM, Artur Malabarba
<address@hidden> wrote:

> == Bottomline ==
> I don't know if it's possible to figure out the language of the user's
> keyboard layout. But the point is that we should care about the
> language that the user can _type_ in, NOT the language that they
> happen to be _reading_ now nor the language that they happen to
> _know_.

So, if I'm using my laptop on which I use a US-international layout I
will get no folding for any character in Latin-1, if I use a nearby
machine with an Italian keyboard layout I get a different behavior, if
I use another machine with a US layout I get another different
behavior.  That will be the time that I revert to Emacs 19.

FWIW, my preference would be for a different function altogether,
disjoint from the non-folding version.