Re: Character folding in the pretest

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: Character folding in the pretest
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 18:09:23 +0300

> The idea behind the current implementation was that this feature will
> be useful even when it is language-agnostic, which is the lowest level
> of compatibility cited in the Unicode Standard (so the Unicode
> Consortium guys didn't think it to be a stupid idea).

While we have strict rules for some languages, it's very helpful to
count for errors which natives and non-natives may make and fold as much
as possible - if folded search gives too many false positive that may
just be an indication that a more specific (not folded) search should be
used.

I now realize that I'd like to see folded even distinct letters like
Russian Е and Ё - I cannot tell in advance when the author did it
correct.

However, having folding on by default will certainly tell me that Emacs
is not respecting Russian alphabet, which some people here wrote about
too.

Filipp