Re: About git commits

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: About git commits
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 15:03:23 -0800

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 01/31/2016 11:49 PM, Bill Wohler wrote:
>
>> Log messages are fixed using git rebase -i, which rewrites all of the
>> commits from the changed commit to HEAD.
>
> Not in the Emacs repository. You should read CONTRIBUTE.

I have. I don't see anything regarding changing commit messages or
rebasing. Can you please point it out?

Also, it would help clarify things if Nicolas described exactly how he
fixed the commit messages. I'm assuming he used rebase on existing
messages in the repository.

p.s. to Eli: If the repository has receive.denyNonFastforwards and
receive.denyDeletes set to true, then your comment about our history
being immutable should be largely accurate and welcome. However, can't a
user still use git push -f to override those settings?

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden> aka <address@hidden>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/