Re: To non-native English writers: expunging the solecism "This allows t

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: To non-native English writers: expunging the solecism "This allows to do something."
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 12:06:43 +0100 (CET)

Mello, Mathieu.

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, Mathieu Lirzin wrote:

As a non-native english speaker, I feel bad when I read such injunctions
from you [RMS] or Alan.

I apologise for this. My intention was to point out (and fix) a common error, so as to make people aware of it.

When stating such thing, it would be nice to acknowledge that it can be
difficult to write correct english especially when it isn't your primary
language.  Otherwise you feed a power relationship between contributors,
which is already strong enough.

Again, apologies. I understand the difficulties in writing in a foreign language (I'm a native English speaker living in Germany), and it is really hard to get exactly right, far harder than making program source work correctly.

Was there anything else about my first post I could have done better, so as to avoid the misunderstanding about power relationships?

What about creating some documentation about common english mistakes to
avoid, instead of urging people to not make them?  How would you feel if
the same injuctions were made about correctly using Git or anything you
are not comfortable at?

Well, I have quite often asked for help with git and have been grateful for the help offered. I think (or I hope), that if my written German were criticised the way I criticised "allows to ...", I would accept the corrections and try to write Geman better in the future.

--
Mathieu Lirzin

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).