Re: xref and displaying locations in appropriate window or frame

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: xref and displaying locations in appropriate window or frame
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 11:05:27 +0100

> IDE-like window layout is not one of my goals here. I think I've
> explained how it would be less than idea.
>
> That's not to say that the users shouldn't be able to choose this
> window management strategy (using display-buffer-alist?), but let's
> not bake this choice into xref.

While personally I prefer window management by chaos, it's up to you to
justify your choice.

>> You could split the parent window of O and X.
>
> Very well (they have a parent window?). But that seems to imply manual
> layout management, instead of using e.g. pop-to-buffer.

Back to where we were: ‘pop-to-buffer’ is based on the <= 2 windows per
frame paradigm.

>> When X has short lines it could be shown on the left of O like this.
>>
>>   -----------------
>> |X|   O   |   T   |
>> | |       |       |
>> | |       |       |
>> | |       |       |
>> | |       |       |
>>   -----------------
>

> Let's say that the lines in X are about half of the frame's width. At
> least, that's my usual experience.

The default frame's width?

>>  > We'd split one of the windows again and show the target buffer in the
>>  > new window. See my diagram at the beginning of this email.
>>
>> Then we're back at the initial problem that by default Emacs never shows
>> more than two windows on a frame :-(
>
> I suppose so. But its resolution should be orthogonal to what I do.

Sometimes you want the cake and eat it.

> The question was about the user being able to bury *Grep*, then switch
> back to it, and continue using it without issue. But indeed, *Grep*
> and *Compilation* have it easier.

Ahh, funny.  I never switch back to *Compilation* manually.  I always
keep it open until I have resolved all issues.  And my grep sidebars
hardly occupy any space.  I often show two or more greps or searches
simultaneously.  And whenever I remove a grep sidebar from the frame,
its buffer gets killed automatically.  I wouldn't remember anyway what I
needed it for.

martin