Re: emacs-25 2460cfa: * doc/lispref/lists.texi (Association Lists): Docu

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: emacs-25 2460cfa: * doc/lispref/lists.texi (Association Lists): Document 'alist-get'.
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 19:52:18 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> > I think setf'ing alist-get is the preferred way now to change the value
> > associated to a key.  If it is, it should be discoverable in some way,
> > because it is an important functionality.  Unlike other functions that
> > are setf'able, in this case we have no equivalent setter function
> > defined, i think.
>
> Isn't 'cdr' also in that class?

No, we have setcdr.

>  As well as at least a few others?

Dunno.  Which ones?

> For the record, that doc string almost made me weep in frustration --
> about my own stupidity, no doubt, since I couldn't make heads or tails
> out of it, when I compared it with the actual code (including studying
> the _only_ use of it in the context of a gv setter, AFAICT).

Maybe _only_ because few people know about it.

The problem I want to solve is: Now that assoc.el is obsolete, there is
no replacement for `aput' besides setf'ing alist-get.

Manipulating alists is a thing sometimes necessary for customizing
Emacs, it is useful for end users.  They should not need to study source
code.

Michael.