Re: 4K Bugs

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: 4K Bugs
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 12:41:35 +1100

i've just recently installed the `debbugs` package myself, as part of trying to help out with bug triage. i rather like it overall, and find it less unwieldy than the Web UI - thanks to those who have put it together! Still, i too have had some issues:

Phillip Lord <address@hidden> writes:

- After installing debbugs, there is no obvious entry point. M-x debugs-[tab] gives 30 different commands.

Agreed; it took me a few moments to realise that debbugs-gnu was probably what i wanted.

- debbugs-gnu list bugs from number 158 and upward; the entire first 500 is about emacs 23 pre-releases. If I want to get the latest bugs, they are on page 5.

An argument could be made that the longest-outstanding issues should be displayed first, to try to encourage their resolution. Having said that, it could also be argued that their longevity means they're less likely to be able to be resolved soon than recent bugs. So i'm not sure what the best default is here.

- Bugs marked as "done" and "unreproducible" are displayed by default.

i would certainly prefer that "done" and "unreproducible" bugs were not displayed by default.

- On none of the debbugs pages are there any obvious menu items or bug-related functionality.

Well, as usual in these situations, i used C-h m (`describe-mode`) to find out what i can do; but yes, it might be useful to at least have one or two lines of text describing at least some of the possible commands (and maybe also, what the colours in the `State` field indicate).

- I found out about hitting "C" to send a control message. Configuring this to "mail client" and up pops thunderbird, although I am a Gnus user.

i'm a mu4e user, and when i try to send a control message .... Well, i'm not sure what happens. i get nothing to indicate a message was sent, but nothing to indicate it failed to be sent either. i can successfully use mu4e to reply to messages in the relevant bug thread, though.

Finally, i'd like to suggest that the `debbugs` manual be renamed to something like `debbugs-dev`, and the `debbugs-ug` manual be renamed to `debbugs`. In trying to find out what the colours in the `State` field indicated, i ran the `info-display-manual` command and specified `debbugs`; the result ("Debbugs Programmers Manual") surprised me, and it took me a while to realise that there's a `debbugs-ug` ("Debbugs User Guide") manual. My guess is that many more people are going to want to use the latter than the former; hence my rename suggestion. Perhaps it might also be useful to link to the User Guide from the `debbugs` UI?

Alexis.