Re: Dynamic modules: MODULE_HANDLE_SIGNALS etc.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Dynamic modules: MODULE_HANDLE_SIGNALS etc.
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 17:26:21 +0200

> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 13:28:24 -0800
>
> One question that neither you, nor Eli, nor Paul have answered is why we
> would try to recover from stack overflow and not NULL deferences.
> Exactly the same arguments apply to both situations.

The difference should be obvious: stack overflow is not (necessarily)
a bug, it is just an exhaustion of some resource.  Like getting a NULL
return value from memory allocation routines.  Would you claim that
getting a NULL from malloc also requires to "crash quickly and
predictably"?  No, I don't think so.

> Emacs should report its own crashes somehow *generally*, probably with
> Breakpad.

Maybe.  But given the current trend of removing more and more data
from what report-emacs-bug sends, I rather doubt that many users would
want to allow such reports.