Re: Status of multicolor fonts?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Status of multicolor fonts?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 17:56:16 +0100

Random832 <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> If your application needs that, you don't have to wait for this to be
>> supported in the core.  It should be very easy to write Lisp code that
>> generated faces with specific colors
>
> I'm not sure if you understand the feature being requested. This is not
> a font that specifies a foreground and background color per character,
> it is a font that defines a character as a full-color graphic image
> (e.g. the US flag in red, white, and blue with shadows and highlights,
> though flags specifically are ligatures of two characters)
>
> The variation selectors are specifically to replace the "skin color"
> (typically yellow by default on the fonts that support them) with a
> selected natural human skin color. I think they're actually implemented
> by selecting another graphic entirely, since some implementations also
> have different hair colors.

Requiring colored font support for the sake of supporting racist
subdivision of "emojis".  Whoever sold that idea to the Unicode
consortium could certainly become a career lobbyist if he isn't yet.

Couldn't they have found a more dignified reason for putting forward
this technical challenge?

--
David Kastrup