Re: What would be the best screenshot of Emacs for the homepage?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: What would be the best screenshot of Emacs for the homepage?
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 00:21:27 +0100

On 2015-12-11, at 22:32, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I understand the idea to promote a FOSS enviromnent vs a proprietary
>> one,
>
> A free environment.

Isn't GNOME also open source?  I thought "FOSS" means the conjunction of
both.

>> it would be better not to include the window bar in screenshots since
>> it is the way (a.k.a the "most used way") to identify the environment
>> (as in "OS" or "Window Manager").
>
> So?  For one thing, the font rendering will equally well identify a
> platform.  For another, why _wouldn't_ GNU Emacs promote GNU
> environments (GNUstep would be another candidate but it is less
> frequently used)?  Other platforms are secondary considerations.  Why
> shouldn't the first priority of a GNU component be GNU?

Also, the kind of user who might identify the environment as
a non-Windows one is probably the kind who uses GNU/Linux anyway.  (I
would assume that most Windows users either woulnd't notice, or would
think that it is kind of a customized theme or something.  I don't know
about MacOS users; they are a rare phenomenon, since MacOS is rather an
exotic choice.)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski