Re: why does make check run all tests?

From: Mathieu Lirzin
Subject: Re: why does make check run all tests?
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 17:58:32 +0100

Hi,

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

> ## Re-run all the tests every time.
> check:
>       address@hidden f in *.log; do test ! -f $$f || mv $$f $$f~; done
>       @${MAKE} check-maybe
>
> I realised last night, that my recent changes have actually broken this
> (check is now incremental).
>
> This to me seems to be a good thing (although it was accidental). Why
> should check run all tests everytime? Especially now that I have added
> dependencies between tests and source (so, if you change abbrevs.el,
> then abbrevs-test.el will get run).

According to GCS, ‘make check’ is supposed to run the test suite.  When
someone wants to run a specific test he should be able (in Automake's
conventions) to override the TESTS variable with a make flag like this:

  make check TESTS="tests/.."

Since Emacs does not use Automake, it would be nice to adapt your changes
to enforce this behavior.

Thanks,

--
Mathieu Lirzin