Re: lax matching is not a great default behavior

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: lax matching is not a great default behavior
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 20:32:24 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Mark Oteiza <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 13:49:46 -0500
>>
>> I think the performance hit of char-folding is a good reason to disable
>> it. (Perhaps it's much worse for me since this emacs is not optimized.)
>
> Then turn it off in your sessions.  That's just the default, you don't
> have to suffer if you don't like/need it.  (The release version is not
> supposed to be unoptimized on end-users' machines, btw.)

Optimization does not tend to make staggering differences.  There is
something to be said for Emacs developers trying to work with the
defaults and not just silently reconfigure them when they get in the way
of productivity not just because of old habits but because of actual
ergonomic or performance problems.

Developers are less likely to suffer from the "I guess it is supposed to
be that way" disease, so they in particular should think twice before
just reconfiguring.

--
David Kastrup