Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 75336a2: Merge branch 'feature/standard-test-lo

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 75336a2: Merge branch 'feature/standard-test-location'
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 01:16:58 -0600

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

>> The .el extension points to emacs-lisp-mode already, doesn't it?
>
> Then you are testing two things: auto-mode-alist *and* indentation.

Yes. But that's a Good Thing.

And it will significantly reduce perceived "noise" in the test sources,
which is also a Good Thing.

The need to set the mode via a local variable documents that you are not
expecting auto-mode-alist to handle it.

>> Have you considered just adding a few functions to ert-x? As a first step, I
>> mean.
>
> Not yet, no. I wanted to get something working and useful first. The
> problem with adding it to ert-x is that it's core, and I think I'd
> rather have it in ELPA in the short term.

I think "it" here is your new test macros, that make it easier to write
indentation tests?

They are useful for testing core code, so they should be in core. At
least until we get "core ELPA" packages working; then this would be a
candidate for moving to Gnu ELPA.

Putting them in a separate package for now probably makes sense; once
they are fully polished we can decide if they should be in ert or ert-x.

--
-- Stephe